Dear Jean,
I was brought up with this line being "Atichoo! Atichoo! We all fall down.",
which, without thinking why, I'd always assumed was sneezing before dying. I
can't imagine why people would sneeze with the plague though.

Here in Australia we said "A-tishoo" - which we also took to mean a sneeze.

I don't know if countries other than England had the plague,

I don't believe it made it to Australia :) Love David in Ballarat