Liz wrote:

I'm sorry - I was being flippant in order to make a point.  And probably
didn't make it too well so my apolobies to you and the list.

Thank-you. Apologies accepted. I did not realise that you were trying to be
flippant. It didn't come through in the e-mail format. (Haven't found any
flippancy emoticons, although I suppose ;-P comes closest.)

>Funny, but I never have these questions from Rabbis or their families.

For a very good reason. The Holocaust is the "low-level" entry to Jewish
experience and for many English Jews, whose Jewish education may range from
mediocre to non-existent, the sine qua non of Jewish experience tends to be
the Holocaust. It's easy, requires minimal study, and the media is
saturated by it every time a new Anne Frank play or film comes out.

OTOH, better educated Jews, i.e., rabbis and families, don't need to use
the Holocaust as a basis for Jewish identity because they have a much
better grasp of Jewish history and texts. It's the former, which is a kind
of intellectual laziness (lox-and-bagels Judaism, so to speak) that drives
me screaming round the bend. (And for those who doubt whether it's
intellectual laziness, just try asking them to name one Jewish source that
postdates the Bible and predates Rashi or to name one Israeli Knesset
member.)

IMO, questions like "What were you [Brits] doing?" are a waste of time for
all concerned. We can't change the past, only the future.

Best wishes,

Avital