I do have a button box. Or, rather, one of those little tool-chests with drawers -- like Alice's, I think -- where different colours of buttons are sorted out (and white ones sorted out further). They don't get used much these days (except the shirt ones), because I no longer sew. I also have a "real" button box -- much less organised (only 3 compartments) -- which houses my Mother's and my MIL's collections of buttons. The buttons there tend to be in smaller batches, usually only 2-3 of a kind, and even less useful. But too pretty (or sentimental, in case of my Mother's collection) to throw away :)