Yvonne wrote:

<I wonder if anyone can help me out. Is it possible to pad out a dress
makers
manequin? I may have to make a Deb(prom) dress for a very large girl soon
and Vera(my manequin) doesn't go anywhere near her size. Has anyone had any
experience with padding one out?>

Many, many years ago when I did my City and Guilds Dressmaking and Pattern
Cutting course, we had to pad out the old-fashioned type of mannequin, made
of slightly padded plates which were pulled in and let out by turning wheels
between them. We made calico (the thick unbleached cotton stuff) bags filled
with kapok (polyester wadding wasn't in abundance then, and kapok could be
stuffed firmly), and tacked them
onto the dummy in the right places. It was mainly done because the
mannequins tended to be flat-chested.

The wire type that you fit on the person like a waistcoat could probably be
padded in a similar way, though I can't imagine padding mine out
sufficiently to change it from the anorexic size 12 it currently is to the
portly shape I am now!

Jean in Poole