Gidday Patricia and all,

<Can anyone advise if a combined videao recorder and DVD player is a good
idea?
< I ask because a combined washer/drier doesn't last as long as separate

<Another question.  Are the DVD systems in Britain and the US compatable?
i'd
<like to be ablt to send British DVDs to America as presents.

I have a Samsung combined DVD/video player, purchased in Australia and we
have had it for 2 and a half years so far with no problems - they are
relatively new to the market so I would think no one has had one for long
enough yet to answer you regarding their longevity.

The advantage to having a combined one is that you can do an easy direct
copy of a DVD onto a blank video (if the DVD is not write-protected which
some of them are for copyright reasons) with the press of a button, rather
than having to plug in lots of different in/out things (which I am hopeless
at working out!).

As far as regions go, Steph is correct and the other region is the one which
covers South Africa, which we have found much to our chagrin when we moved
here with our Aussie player.  We cannot hire DVDs here from the local video
library, only videos, because Australia is region 4 and RSA is region 2 -
very frustrating now when libraries are offering more and more DVDs and the
stock of videos on the shelves for hire is reducing.  We also cannot
purchase DVDs here for the same reason.  We recently sent an email to
Samsung asking whether they could provide us with some kind of decoder to
enable us to play DVDs of other regions (because we had heard that with some
brands you can do this), and they replied that it is not possible with their
machines.

I would not recommend that you send British-purchased DVDs to USA as it is
unlikely that they will be able to play them (although there are a few older
release DVDs that are multi-region, the newer ones are not) - better to
order them online from a US company and get them delivered directly within
the USA.

Michelle
an Aussie living in Richards Bay, South Africa
with my mum still visiting from Oz and where it is 30C and humid

Ian & Chelle Long
+27 35 788 0777