On Apr 12, 2004, at 13:56, Linda Walton wrote:

Here's an extract from my 1944 copy of H.W. Fowler's "A Dictionary of Modern
English Usage" (Oxford University Press), page 125.

" . . . 'Each other' is by some writers used only when no more than two
things are referred to, 'one another' being similarly appropriated to larger
numbers; the differentiation is neither of present utility nor based on
historical usage [...]

Thanks; it's good to know I don't *have to* remember the difference... And that, whoever it was who'd put that particular bee in my bonnet was just another over-zealous, officious *nothing* <g>

Of course, American English may work differently . . .

Most of the English I know is *Brit* English; that's what I was taught in Poland from the time I was 8, to the time I left at 23. Those were the "formative years" for me, as far as English is concerned; all I've learnt in the US in the 30+ yrs since is but an icing on the cake (and unevenly applied, at that)... <g>

-----
Tamara P Duvall
Lexington, Virginia, USA (pissin' down all day, but I'm told we needed the rain)
Formerly of Warsaw, Poland
http://lorien.emufarm.org/~tpd/