On May 21, 2004, at 1:00, Weronika Patena wrote In response to Steph Peters' message):

That's very interesting. Even though it doesn't use spaces, Japanese does
have a pretty clear concept of a word - or maybe they just made it up to
teach to foreigners ;-)

Don't know about that... But I do remember that my students (I taught ESL to some Japanese girls, for a year, about 10 yrs ago or so) used to have those "funny" dictionaries... When I tried to understand how the dictionary was arranged, they told me it was according to the *number of strokes* drawn in a particular ?hieroglyph? used for a word (or phrase)... I found that method even more intimidating than Roget's dictionary of synonyms/antonyms before it went over to alphabetical listings... As bad, indeed, as the yellow pages in the phone-book or a 'putert search (how on earth do you *begin* to guess???)

And, speaking of puters and guessing... I explored the fundraising website a wee-bit (within my limited capabilities), and recommend searching by *address*, not by name... All of my near neighbours are either as poor as I am, or as uninvolved; I came up empty on that score... But, the *address* search was *very* rewarding <g> It started with a 0.1 mile radius, and broadened (I quit looking after 35 mile distance was passed; didn't know anyone there anyway). Truly fascinating... I'll have to ask DH tomorrow if he knows some of the U-professors names mentioned; just as well to know who to steer clear of <g>. Though it was nice to find out that we sent our child (then aged 3) to the "right" pre-school, ran byt the "right" person, all those years ago...

---
Tamara P Duvall             http://lorien.emufarm.org/~tpd
              Healthy US through The No-CARB Diet:
    no C-heney, no A-shcroft, no R-umsfeld, no B-ush.