Lynn Scott wrote: ... "Years ago an Alabama grandmother gave the new bride
the
following recipe for washing clothes."

Now this recipe makes perfect sense, unlike the bed advice!  <G>  I mean, we
still sort the washing in a similar way, and how practical to use the water
for the flower beds.  And I like the "sit and rock a spell" after all that
hard work - written for women by a woman.  Nice.

I have (and still use) a recipe book of my mother's, dated 1932.  Its
Preliminary Notes (Pantry and Scullery Work) include the following:

Cutlery:
1. Place blades in a jug of hot water and soda.  Do not let the water touch
the handles.
2. Wash and dry.
3. Rub knives from side to side on a knife-board sprinkled with bathbrick.
Then rub back of knife and clean shoulders of knife with a cork dipped in
bathbrick.
4. Clean prongs of steel forks with a grooved cork dipped in bathbrick.
5. Dust well.
6. Stainless knives:  After washing, rub up with a duster and sharpen
occasionally with a rotary knife sharpener.

Disposal of refuse:
1. Use dustbin for ashes, tins and breakages only.
2. Burn Dust.
3. Use waste paper for lighting fires.
4. Collect animal and vegetable refuse for pig feeding.  If this is
impossible, it should be burnt.

Lynne says: " ... First thing each morning you should run and hug your
washer and dryer! "
I love my dishwasher too, but I draw the line at hugging my wheelie bins.
LOL!

Our council provides one bin for general rubbish, one for recycling garden
stuff, one box for recycling paper, and a box for glass.  No tin recycling
yet, but it's coming (they say).

BFN,
Margery.
PS Bathbrick?  I have no idea ...