I travelled thru Britain in 1975 using my thumb, cheap trains, and staying
youth hostels.  While hitchhiking was safer then, my friend and I still had
a very frightening encounter, hence the change to trains and buses. We met
some wonderful people throughout our journey and made some great friends at
all the hostels.  The other great thing about the hostels is there is staff
to tell you about the best and cheapest places to visit, eat, or see.  I
believe they are still really cheap and cheerful and certainly beat the
uncertainty of sleeping outdoors.

Lynn Scott, Wollongong, Australia