On 5 Jul 2004, at 18:06, Esther Perry wrote:

I have come to the conclusion that 'genealogy' can mean anything you want it
too, and I really don't use the word a whole lot any more. I prefer 'Family
History'. And in the Family's History, both biological and natural parents
find a place.
Of course. For me gt gt grandfather is the point where genealogy turns into family history.

But... here's another angle on 'genealogy'.
I have hears it said, that refugees, who fled for example from France to
England, took their lace skills with them.
Has anyone ever put this kind of thing into a 'genealogy' -
Lille from France married Bucks from England and produced.....

Don't know about that one, but I can trace the origins of my lace teaching back several generations.
Some years ago a query from a guy in Hampshire (England) to The Lace Guild was passed to me - because I was local rather than for having a bit of family history know-how. Any way, Dave's gt grandmother was Jane Dillow, a lacemaker from Twyford in Buckinghamshire. Her daughter was Mrs Mary Ainger was the one who moved to kent, her husband worked for a railway company, and she set up a lace school in Cobham under the patronage of Lady Darnley. Her daughter was Helen Hoppe, who was one of the people who taught lacemaking to my first lace teacher, Vera Rigney whom I still see occasionally. Vera is getting frail and quite deaf, but still able to make lace in her mid ninetys.

Brenda
http://www.argonet.co.uk/users/paternoster/