At 12:52 AM 7/15/2004, you wrote:
Proms started for school leavers while I was still teaching, obviously
stolen from the US. Quite amazing seeing some of our young hooligans in
tuxedos and arriving in a stretch limo. Even some of the girls "scrubbed up"
quite well.

The Prom used to be a special dance evening in your best clothes for every one in the senior class. The guy gave the gal a corsage, (if he had a date) and wore a suit or sport jacket with a tie. A date was not required. I don't know when it changed to renting a tux, paying for dinner, perhaps renting a limo or other special transportation, but currently going to a Prom is a very expensive operation. And only with a date.

A few years back, in our town, one boy was talking to his gal friends and found out none of them were going because they had no dates. There were more girls than boys in that class. So he invited 8 girls to go with him as a group. He took them all to dinner, gave them corsages, and rented a stretch limo so they could all ride together. It was reported in the news at the time. The boy used his own money to pay for the whole thing.

Now I have to go to the county fair, finish setting up the lace demo area, and spend twelve hours making lace. Then repeat it again the next 4 days.

Alice in Oregon