On returning home, I was greeted by the following message from my son, sent a couple of days earlier (while I was in internet-limbo):

From: Danek Duvall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: July 19, 2004 0:32:44 EDT
To: Tamara Duvall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: modal

I was out buying some clothes the other day (yes, this is your son), and I
ran into something that was 70% modal, 30% something else (cotton or silk,
I think). What on earth is modal? I tried looking it up online, but
couldn't get any good information. The nearest I could tell, it's a brand
of rayon. You know anything about it?

I've only heard the term (used this way) once before - in Prague, in reference to lacemaking thread - and "artificial fiber" was as close as I could figure out what it was. Lace-chat to the rescue, please?

---
Tamara P Duvall             http://lorien.emufarm.org/~tpd
              Healthy US through The No-CARB Diet:
    no C-heney, no A-shcroft, no R-umsfeld, no B-ush.