On Aug 28, 2004, at 1:25, [EMAIL PROTECTED] Liz Beecher) wrote:

The Aussie asked why I don't design anymore and I said that simply I don't
have the time - there are so many things I want to make that to design, at this
time, stops me.

My DH of almost 31yr duration, used to nag me about why I do not teach (now, he only complains about it to others) "you keep *taking* the workshops..." My reasons are about the same... As things are, it's already hard enough to find the time for making up - really tempting - patterns of other people (Brenda's spider oval mat being one of them), so that I can take a break from "heavy thought"... I design, and publish my designs for the same "profit" that Brenda gets - someone else makes it, and makes my day in the process. The workshops (the ones I continue *taking <g>) are the time for myself, *as well as* a possible "rootlet" for new ideas... And I've been to enough workshops by now, to know that the aggro of teaching such is the *last thing* I want to hav to cope with; teaching a lacemaking workshop is one thing I can't imagine having the patience for, even if I had the brain (which I don't think I do; or not like the the teachers I admire the most, who can handle 12 people of disparate abilities and needs all at once)...

Why, oh, why, can't people leave us alone to follow our own paths? I have a niche, in which I'm comfortable... Why is it necessary that I leave it? My finances don't require it and neither does my ego.

Do I bug my DH about all the books he's not written since his retirement (never mind before)? I spent my childhood and teens and early 20ties fullfilling the dreams my parents weren't able to fullfill for themselves (I didn't want to have straight As in primary school, didn't want to go to a "general" rather than a technical highschool, didn't want to go to the University).

Some of it may, in fact, be "for our own good" but, at almost 55 and aware of time rapidly shortening, I get more and more resentful of people who're not even willing to brag about how clever *they are* (the lady of Liz's story), but want to brag about how clever someone close to them is...

---
Tamara P Duvall             http://lorien.emufarm.org/~tpd
              Healthy US through The No-CARB Diet:
    no C-heney, no A-shcroft, no R-umsfeld, no B-ush.