On Nov 3, 2004, at 22:40, Sue Babbs wrote:

My local US Post Office refused to accept a letter which had the return
address on the back, because it would cause confusion as to which was the right address to send the letter to. They are quite
adamant that addresses must be put only on the front of the letter or parcel

At least... You were told *up front*, and so could change the "settings" in time, rather than have it returned - looking sorry for itself - six weeks later.

Whatever one thinks of idiots (mechanical or otherwise), *there's no arguing with them*; you're gonna lose every time. Been there, done that, and found that common sense and logic are being sold at a heavy discount, or being tossed out altogether (vide yesterday's example). Might as well fall in line and *obey*.

Same advice for Helene, who asked how come machines in other countries could cope, but the ones in US couldn't... I don't know... Perhaps the machines in other countries are smarter? I don't dare suggest that they'd been designed by smarter people...

---
Tamara P Duvall             http://lorien.emufarm.org/~tpd
As you sow, so you shall reap...