Hi Helen,

it is possible to have a cheque made out in other currencies from the UK
from Building societies.  About a year ago, I arranged to have a cheque made
out in AUS$ from my account at the Nationwide.  I think it cost £12: cheaper
than a tranfer would be.  It involved visiting the building society to
request the cheque.  There was a delay, as I had to wait for the cheque to
arrive in the post.

The other option would be to use Paypal to transfer the money.  Perhaps
someone who uses this could help if this is an option you would consider.

Hope this helps, Karen