Tamara wrote:

<I "buy" a poppy every time I see the Veterans selling it  (though, IMO,
they sell them far too often; it's becoming meaningless.>

Poppies are only "sold" shortly before and on 11th November every year to
commemorate the ending of the 1st world war at 11 am on 11th November 1918
(Armistice Day).

DH was with his "last of the summer wine" buddies he meeets up with each
morning at the coffee stall in Poole Park, when a lad of about 18 asked why
the stallholder was wearing a poppy in his hat. They told him why, and he
said "They didn't advertise it very well did they?"  Doh! It's only been
happening every year since 1918 (or soon after).

In the last school I taught at we had two minutes silence at 11 am on
Armistice Day and said why we were doing it. Either they didn't at this
lad's school or he wasn't paying attention. Even supermarkets and other
public places have been observing the 2 minutes silence for several years. I
suppose he wouldn't know when Christmas was if it wasn't for the shops
starting to "advertise" it from the beginning of September.

Jean in Poole