At 10:44 AM 11/21/04 -0500, Cherry Knobloch wrote:

>Maybe "in adverspeak, "crafts" is the art of sticking things together with
>a glue gun.", but I'm enrolled in a degree program titled "Contemporary
>Crafts Marketing" and it includes glass blowing, ceramics, and jewelry,
>including my wire lace jewelry made with fine and sterling silver and the
>art jewelry of fellow Arachnean Pat Frese, who also teaches in the program.

Ah, but you are marketing the products of craftsmen.   The adverspeakers are
running "craft shops" where you can buy glue guns and various doodads to
glue together.  Probably some paint to make it look a little better.  And
over in the corner is a little dab of fabric and maybe some cheap-grade
sewing supplies.

Perhaps crafts shops have gone out of date -- it's at least four years since
I set foot in one, having moved to a town with an excellent fabric shop.
It's enough to turn your stomach to see what they call "crafting".

But it's been going on for a long time.  In the fifties, Mom worked in a
hospital where the "crafts" in the Occupational Therapy department consisted
entirely of buying overpriced stuff that had to be assembled.  Until Mom
filled in, and actually taught the patients how to do things.  But then the
gummint made them hire a licensed therapist, and the "kits" returned.  The
only one I remember was a pile of stamped leather shapes that could be
linked together to make a belt.  Rather a nice-looking belt, but a very
expensive way to spend ten minutes.

--
Joy Beeson
http://home.earthlink.net/~joybeeson/