In a message dated 11/24/2004 8:35:41 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Being
dumped here as criminals (early Virginia)

My impression is that the settlers in Jamestown were the younger sons of  the
aristocracy who had to seek their fortunes due to the English law of
primogentiture.

I don't think New York is an example of religious persecution. My
understanding is that New Amsterdam was always a commercial venture settled  by
the
Dutch West India Company. This is why, then and now, people bow down  to Mammon
in
New York.

Devon