On Wednesday, November 24, 2004, at 10:15  PM, Tamara P. Duvall wrote:

What's "U.E.L. type people"?

The United Empire Loyalists were people living in what became the U.S., who supported the British during the American War of Independence. I think they're called 'Tories' in U.S. history books. About 40,000 fled to Canada, 80% to my part of the country, and the rest to what became Ontario and Quebec. They were the first major wave of English-speaking immigrants to Canada.

Margot Walker in Halifax on the east coast of Canada