When I cleared out my dad's house last year, the old splint bushel baskets my mother used for laundry in the forties and fifties were still there, complete with their little fabric liners (they were probably bought for the purpose, rather than home made, as they had coordinating fabrics, and bias binding around the edgeds). Nostalgically, I brought them back here with me, and they are in the basement now -- but I realize why my mother switched to plastic when it became available: the things are splintery on the outside as well as inside, and although they have wire handles (not all that comfortable for toting a whole load of wet sheets etc. up to the old drying carousel), and the fabric covers the inside and the outside of the rim, the outside of the basket itself hits your clothes or legs...OUCH! and if you are wearing nylons, DARN!