Sandi

I've moved this to chat, but it sounds as though we had some similar childhood experiences, though I didn't have the advantage/disadvantage of being left handed. From what I have seen of your handwriting it is legible - but anyone with less than perfect vision may need a magnifying glass to read it!

I first learnt baby "ball and stick" letters using a pencil. At seven years old we graduated to dip and scratch pens (which weren't left or right handed) and at the same time learned cursive joined-up writing. I'm sure I too was an ink bespattered artform at times. A year later I changed schools; everyone at the new school used fountain pens for joined script which at the time seemed like a backwards step to me and I often got red rings around mis-formed letters. "f" was the usual culprit. Then when we were about ten (top juniors) the form master had a thing about handwriting and we were all taught Italic. I remember that he had a range of italic nibs for us to try, including some left handed ones, before we asked our parents to provide the fountain pen.

After having been taught to write four times, the freedom came when I moved on to grammar school and the only requirement was that the writing should be neat and legible. Not sure that I achieved either requirement, but it gave me the chance to experiment - one week it would be cursive and loopy, the next spiky and angular and the next with backwards squiggles everywhere! Eventually it settled down to a fairly nondescript style, but only legible if I'm careful and go slowly!

Brenda