In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Helene
Gannac <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
>I am more concerned about the number of people who want to photocopy personal
>papers. I think it should be a no-no everywhere, you don't know where all those
>paper files are going to end up one day!!

Unfortunately it is now law so some of us have to - I work for a
solicitor, and to prevent fraud and money laundering (heaven knows how
they think it will work) we, and any other institution handling large
sums of cash for purchases/services etc (so car dealers, estate agents,
insurance companies, etc also have to) have to ask for identification
and proof of address for all new clients. For certain transactions, eg
buying or selling property, we have to photocopy the ID to prove that ID
has been shown. On the other hand, we do not have a colour photocopier,
so any copy taken is black and white, and with the small size of the
picture on passports (to say nothing of the fact that that photo could
legally be nine years eleven months old!) the photocopy is not always
brilliantly clear.

I'm all in favour of some kind of ID card - at least it would mean that
my daughters would not have to carry their passport with them every time
they went out (usually to prove age). I think it is the (? mythical)
idea that the card will carry a chip with all sorts of personal
information on it that is the stumbling block.
--
Jane Partridge