I concur with Ruth about trying to get a toddler's fingers into the
correct holes.  I couldn't with the first one, and couldn't with the
2nd, so they wore mittens.  Didn't seem to affect the playing in the
nsow too much.

Now they're 9 and 6 1/2 and wear gloves.

Funnily enough, I have some wonderful mittens that I like to wear
sometimes if standing around outside (or sitting the one time I went to
a Broncos game, and the odd Spring Rockies game in the biting cold).
They're big enough that there's room to move fingers around, and I think
I've even gotten a small handwarmer inside one of them.  I don't wear
them often these days, but there are times when they are useful.
Strange.  But I don't have the string going from one to the other :-)

Cheers,
Helen, Aussie in Denver