Joy Beeson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>At 07:05 PM 12/18/04 -0500, Lynn Carpenter wrote:
>
>>My Dover copy of Mary Thomas's Knitting Book mentions special glove needles
>>used for knitting glove fingers.  I wonder if anyone still sells glove
>>needles?  Must ask my Historic Knit list . . .
>
>After making a set of glove needles and finding them impossible to work
>with, I realized that in Mary Thomas's day, dp needles were long enough to
>tuck under your arm or plug into a knitting sheath to free up one hand.
>What she called "glove needles" were, no doubt, much like our "sock needles".
>
>Report back what the Historic Knitters say.  But don't tell me where they
>are; I spend *way* too much time sitting in front of the computer now.

It turns out glove needles, from 4 to 5 inches long, are still available.
Some of the vendors include JKL Needles,
http://www.jklneedles.com
Woodland Woolworks,
http://www.woodlandwoolworks.com/Knitting/Tools/Needles/knitNeedles.html
and Knitters' Underground has steel ones from Inox, in sizes #0 to #0000:
http://www.knitters-underground.com/dpneedles.html

The Historic Knit list replies were pretty varied.  Some knitters found, as
you did, that they just couldn't use them.  Others used them all the time
and loved them.

I think it must be like the metal-needle-versus-wooden-needle debate, or
the metal-tatting-shuttle versus plastic-tatting-shuttle:  some people
absolutely love one or the other, and can't stand to use anything else.

Lynn Carpenter in snowy SW Michigan, USA
alwen at i2k dot com