In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes

>Then what really turned my stomach was last night they were showing adverts
>on tv for holidays to the Maldives and Indonesia.

Did you watch the documentary about the Boscastle floods in April, and
the episode of "A Seaside Parish" the other night, following a "Changing
Rooms" programme where a couple of commercial properties were given a
facelift? I did wonder why, when so many homes were destroyed, it was
the B&B, hotel and bakery that were chosen, but getting these properties
up and running quickly brings much needed money into the area - tourists
are the main source of livelihood, and in the long term, it is a
necessity not to stop tourists returning to the area.

In the areas hit by this major flood, it has been reported that many of
the hotels have survived, structurally. For their owners to survive,
they need to be able to continue in business, and for tourists to turn
their backs on them now, cut short the holiday, and leave them empty and
without income, is more heartless than accepting that there is little
that they personally can do (without the proper training, they can be
"in the way" and cause harm rather than good) other than lie on the
beach and continue to contribute to the local economy. In a way, by
staying, they are showing moral support, and that in itself can be a big
psychological help to the locals.
--
Jane Partridge