Jean and Spiders,

The last paragraph made me smile wryly!    Far be it from me to insult any
dustbin men but .....    Our daughter-in-law was at our house one Thursday
morning, with her car on the road outside our house.   Thursday is the day
for wheelie-bin collection.

My husband happened to be looking out of the lounge window, and was just
attempting to say to Anne "That wagon is going to come awfully close to your
car"  when there was a horrrendous wrending noise, the sentence wasn't
completed, and Anne's car - the first car of her own - was being trampled on
by the dustbin wagon.  The car looked as if it had been run over by a tank!
It was a complete write-off, Anne was devastated and, despite the assurance
of the Waste Disposal Facility Manager in Hadleigh (Suffolk) that Anne and
Duncan wouldn't suffer *any* financial loss by the incident, of course they
did!    Anne has not been able to replace the car - they can't afford it,
but everyone in the cul-de-sac now hustles out early on the mornings that
the rubbish is to be collected, to put their cars safely on the drives -
their own drives, or anyone else's, if their own are full!    However, it
hasn't changed the actions of the dustbin men - the wagon is driven
backwards up the road, at speeds which would make Michael Scumacher look
slow - admittedly, they have the alarm sounding whilst the vehicle is in
reverse, but I am sure it is only another accident waiting to happen - our
road has several small and not-so-small children living in it, not to
mention the nieces, nephews, grandchildren etc. who caome to visit.

Carol - in Suffolk UK.

 Yes, I think they're