Tamara et al,

Oh dear!    'Hwyl' - h as in hell - 'w' as in 'ooo' - 'y' as in 'u' - 'l' as
in luck!    And that's about as near as I can get it!  'Rhys' is just
sounding the 'h' after the R, just like sounding the 'h' in where, or
whatever!

The 'll' sound - Llandudno etc - is pronounced by putting your tongue behind
your teeth, and sort of blowing!    I have been making the most peculiar
noises as I have been trying to describe this, and my poor husband (Irish,
so not a native Welsh speaker) thought I was suffering from some
unidentifiable but hopefully not contagious disease.   'Y' can be pronounced
like a 'U' or like an 'i' - depending on where in the word the 'y' is - but
we don't have the same letters in the alphabet as English - Jones is the
most common surname in Wales, but there is actually no 'J' in the Welsh
language - it is usually an 'i', such as Sienkin for Jenkins - the Si is
pronounced as Sh.

I think that's enough of a tutorial for tonight - I'm getting brainstrain,
and I am sure you must all be doing the same.

Carol - in Suffolk UK.
Subject: [lace-chat] Re: :- Changed to Pronunciation!