In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes
>I know people will now write to say that my area of New Jersey is highly
>atypical of the US. But I like to think it displays the American  psyche at
>its
>most excessive which can be very illuminating.
>Devon

Maybe, but if Philippa Gregory's books about John Tradescant are
reasonably accurate, the early settlers were given large plots and were
quite a distance from their neighbours - and the liking for spaciousness
sticks through generations?

Personally I prefer our set up, the house is a year older than me (built
in 1955) and has a back garden roughly 120 ft long x 25 ft wide, front
garden is about 18 ft long x 25 ft wide - not all exactly tidy, so lots
of birds for the cats and ourselves to watch! The house is about 18 ft
wide by 24 ft - divided into kitchen (around 7ft square) dining room and
living room (both approx. 11 ft by 12 ft) and hallway with stairs.
Upstairs the bathroom (ie bath, sink, toilet) is about the same size as
the kitchen, one bedroom at the front of the house is 7ft6ins x 6ft6ins,
the other two about 11ft by 10ft.  The garage is about 8ft wide by 18 ft
long, to one side of the house. (The living room at the front of the
house has a bay window, so it is larger than the bedroom above). It may
be small, but the smaller the house the less housework needed!  It is
semi-detached, which means we are joined by one wall to one of our
neighbours - the garage then abuts the garage of our other neighbour -
useful in security terms, as there is no easy access from front to back.
To me, the thought of having a larger washing machine just means more
ironing waiting to be done, and the need to use more electricity and
water - so higher bills.
--
Jane Partridge