At 09:39 AM 2/14/05 -0000, Margery Allcock wrote:

>I imagine these horses were very much like people <G> ... the females
>weren't all that warlike, so were kept at home to breed, while the males
>were kept entire (not gelded) and their testosterone made them usefully
>fierce and eager to join in the battles.

If I recall correctly, mares and geldings were preferred for war mounts --
because a mare in heat wouldn't break their concentration.

[hoof code absent-mindedly snipped]

at http://www.snopes.com/military/statue.htm I find:

Claim:   The number of hooves lifted into the air on equestrian
statues reveals how the riders died.

Origins:   Folk wisdom has it that equestrian statues contain a
code whereby the rider's fate can be determined by noting how
many hooves the horse has raised. The most common theory has
it that if one hoof is raised, the rider was wounded in battle
(possibly dying of those wounds later but not necessarily so);
two raised hooves, death in battle; all four hooves on the ground,
the rider survived all battles unharmed.

. . .

Given that the alleged statuary code consists of three poses
(no hooves raised, one hoof raised, and two hooves raised),
the odds that a rider's manner of death would correspond to
his horse's pose through plain chance are one in three, which is
the proportion we find when surveying the equestrian statues in
our nation's capital — that is, only about ten out of thirty statues
in Washington, D.C., follow the "traditional" pattern.

. . .

The connection between statuary horses hooves' and the manner
of deaths of their riders is not "tradition," but — like the
well-known but mundane list of "coincidences" between the
Lincoln and Kennedy assassinations — an attempt to create an
interesting piece of information (in this case, something akin to
a "secret code") by finding patterns in randomness through
the expedient of simply ignoring or explaining away all the cases
that don't fit the pattern.

(Wearing my BuHead of the Writers' [criticism] Exchange hat:
she should transpose "explaining away" and "simply ignoring".)

But if we believe in the code firmly enough, sculptors will
begin to follow it.   Bit late to enforce it -- equestrian statues
for war heros have gone out of style.

--
Joy Beeson
http://home.earthlink.net/~joybeeson/