In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Tamara P.
Duvall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
>DH will sometimes - jocularly - say: "carry on, Mac Duff",

>Bev says her mother used the phrase "get going" to: "hurry us along"...

When I was little, Mom used to say "carry on McDuff" (she's 82 now -
whether of any relevance, her mother was Wardrobe Mistress for Sir Frank
Benson's Royal Shakespeare Touring Company - based at Stratford, and one
of Mom's uncles was Stage Carpenter at Stratford around 1900), usually
when we were about to leave the house to go anywhere - I can't remember
her pronouncing the 'a' of Mac, though.

Having just phoned and asked her, it is Mc (Scots) not Mac (Irish), and
Grandma used to say it to them - she says because Grandma was in the
theatre and it comes from McBeth. She used it as a hurrying along phrase
- my eldest sister was known for her "in a minute".
--
Jane Partridge