Jean wrote:
>There's been a recent (over about the last 30-40 years) for the broadcasters
and newspapers to each carry one April fool story on 1st April and wait to
see if it was spotted. I understand that this year the BBC banned any such
broadcast, which is a shame because some were so implausible that people did
believe them - probably the most famous being the story about harvesting
spaghetti from spaghetti trees in Italy broadcast on one of the BBCs most
>serious programmes in the days before spaghetti was common in the UK.

There was a wonderful talk on the radio in Melbourne this year. It was a repeat
of one they had in the States, must have been last year as they get their 1st
April after us, so couldn't be this year. It was all about maple trees
exploding if they starting being tapped for syrup when they are too old. DH and
I were in stitches listening to the recounting of "an explosion that was heard
50 miles away", bewaaing of tapping an unknown tree in cas it exploded, people
being blown away by explosions...Great one!

I still remember one year when I was young, in France, when they had an
announcement on the radio (no TV yet, that dates me!) about the Eiffel Tower
having been bought by an American millionaire and being dismantled "bottom part
first" Of cours, that gave the game away, but not to everyone, it seems! Our
neighbour came in and he was terribly concerned about the government selling
the Eiffel Tower....

Yours in rainy Melbourne, after weeks of beautiful sunshine,

Helene, the froggy from Melbourne

http://au.movies.yahoo.com