On Mon, 9 May 2005 10:54:28 -0400, Martha wrote:
>I forwarded it to my husband (a linguistics PhD of Welsh heritage),
>who replied:
>>

>>As I recall, we *did* have a Burger King meal in Wales, but not in Llanfair
>>P.G. (which is what the natives call it). Llanfair P.G. was only about 20
>>miles west of us when we visited Conwy, but we went in the opposite
>>direction to get to our Burger King (which the natives would call
>>"byrrrr-gyrrrr-cing").

Definitely no Burger King in Llanfair P.G.  I was there last year during my
cycling tour of the North Wales coast, and in need of sustenance.  The
possibilities were a couple of pubs, or the coffee shop inside the Edinburgh
Woollen Mills shop.  I never did work out why the biggest shop in a Welsh
village was Scottish.
--
Corporation......An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit
without individual responsibility. - Ambrose Bierce

Scanned by WinProxy
http://www.Ositis.com/