Don't know about the make-up of the racial/socia/economic/religious/sexual orientation/gender make up of the characters, but I understand that almost anyone who can write can become a Mills and Boon author here. Not something that I read, but apparently they supply you with the 'recipe' for one of a number of types of story they do and you fit your characters round it.

Many authors write to a successful formula. DH and I both read 'The da Vinci Code'. Then DH read one of the others by the same author and said he wouldn't bother with the rest, because the story structure was just about the same as "The da Vinci Code". So I moved on to 'Grumpy Old Women' and immediately confirmed that I am one.

Jean in Poole