On May 28, 2005, at 20:02, Pam Dotson wrote:

I think the IPA uses an upside-down lower-case "e" for this sound.

This is called a "schwa"....wow, the phonics I was taught in first grade has paid off, other than reading well!

I never heard of the sound until I hit the first year of the U and the phonetics course. And then, when the guy tried to explain it to us (it doesn't exist in Polish), he said: "it's the sound you make when you yawn, just shorter. And the position of all the speech organs is the same. As a matter of fact, the best time to practice it by itself is when you're trying to fall asleep; it's better than any sleeping pill"

Being a doubtful Thomas I tried it, and he was right... :)

--
Tamara P Duvall                            http://t-n-lace.net/