In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Steph Peters

>Unfortunately your visit is holiday season so there are very few lace days
>in August.

It has just dawned on me that The Lace Guild exhibition at Dudley
Museum, West Midlands, will be on for the whole of your visit - with
demonstrations on Wednesdays and Saturdays (I'm doing Saturday 6th
August). Details should be on the Guild's website. If you are planning
to do a trip to The Hollies, it should be possible to do both in one day
if need be - there is a local bus service from Birmingham City Centre to
Dudley, and also from Dudley to Stourbridge (the two towns are fairly
close together).

If you want to check bus timetables in the Midlands, the main operator
for Birmingham/Coventry/Stourbridge etc is Travel West Midlands (I'm not
sure of the url but you should be able to search with that) and a fair
proportion of the country appears to be covered by Arriva
(www.arrivabus.co.uk) - certainly our bit of the Midlands and Wales,
although the unlimited travel for one day or one week are sectioned into
areas. There are other smaller operators in most areas, some are cheaper
than others, but for the vast majority these days you pay on the bus and
need to have the correct change. For me, travelling from Tamworth into
Birmingham to see my parents or over to Stourbridge to The Hollies, (it
is also available from certain other places outside of the main "Centro"
area to those within it), I find it easier to travel by train, but get a
"West Midlands Bus Add On" - this means that you pay a small amount more
for your train ticket (single or return) but you can use it as a
travelcard on any of the West Midlands buses in the area on that day and
it saves having to dig for change all the time! Some of the larger
railway stations (eg those in London, Birmingham New Street, Manchester)
have bus travel centres that can provide timetables, advice on routes,
fares, etc. I think most of the bus companies in the UK have websites,
certainly I was able to find details of the Oxford buses in advance when
I visited my cousin last year. Some give details of fares, some route
maps, others only timetables or at the very least telephone contact
details. For longer journeys, companies like National Express may be
your best bet.

--
Jane Partridge