Hi Bev,

I'll jump in on this one.....One of Maryland's Chesapeake Bay specialities is
blue crab....seasoned with a local paprika-based herb concoction called "Old
Bay Seasoning".  They are steamed and then some people like to eat them one by
one picking the meat right out of the shell.  The best crab cakes use very
little binder or "filler" and use the "jumbo lump" portion of the crab, but any
part of the meat may be used and they are formed into a ball or patty and
broiled or pan-fried.  It is considered a local delicacy and on restaurant
menus,
the price is rarely indicated....it will say "Market" price, meaning the price
varies according to the going price of crab meat that day, rather like
foreign exchange rates <g>.   The price is quite often higher than for filet
mignon
or other steaks!  An even bigger specialty is soft-shell crab, which is a crab
that has just shed its hard shell and is deep fried and you then eat the
whole thing....which looks a bit like a very large spider!

Vicki in Silver Spring, Maryland where we are bracing for the remnants of
Tropical Storm Cindy....