Susan wrote:

<  all you
need is a phone book in the city and state and then you have the
address of whoever you want. >

Don't know about the US, but in the UK we have the option of not having our telephone number listed. My number hasn't been listed for any address I've lived at since1967. We had two options:
1) Our number wouldn't be given to anyone (Ex-directory, no calls offered)
2) Our number wouldn't be given to anyone, but if someone wanted to contact us, they could ask the operator to ask us if we would take a call from them. If we would the operator would connect them without telling them the number. If we wouldn't or there was no reply, the operator would tell them we would not accept the call, so they wouldn't know if we were home or not. (Ex-directory, calls offered)

Anyone can find out who's living at an address by looking at the electoral register for an area. There's also 192.com which combines the phone book and the electoral roll.

Numerous companies have your details and sell them to others, which is why you get junk mail and attempts to part you from your money by cold calling you. By only giving our phone number to selected people and only essential companies, we get very few cold calls, but loads of junk mail.

So giving your name and town/county/country or city/zip code/country on an Arachne email won't add many unscrupulous people to the list of those who already have your details.

Jean in Poole, Dorset, UK