At 10:05 PM 7/14/2005, you wrote:
Imagine my surprise, when I came here - to *rich* America - and was offered bread with my dinner, which had a starch on the plate already!

I get really annoyed with food places that not only have the above, but the 'vegetable of the day' is corn. Corn is a starch, just like rice, pasta, potato and bread. That makes three of them in one meal, and very little else. If you're lucky, you get a lettuce salad with it, but usually just iceberg lettuce that has very little food value.

Growing up, we did not always have bread with every meal. It was available if someone wanted it. Dad was on a diet that required meat, a starch of some kind, and two vegetables. This meant a vegetable like broccoli, green beans, peas, carrots, squash. One had to be very low calorie and one medium.

USA restaurants seem to keep trying to attact more customers than the next one by making their servings bigger and bigger. The fastfood places ask everyone ' Do you want to supersize that?" And it's usually the unhealthy fries and soft drinks that get the larger portions. It's as if they believe that Bigger is Better. The younger generation thinks a normal soft drink is 24-32 ounces or maybe even larger. This is in the face of information from health studies that says a person should drink no more the 8 ounces of soft drink per day.

One person who works with my DH has lost quite a few pounds. She said the only thing she did was quit drinking soda pop. The latest reports say that even the diet sodas will make a person gain weight. I'm glad I prefer water, and have for many years.

Alice in Oregon -- where I survived the opening of fair. Three more days to go.