At 04:31 AM 7/15/2005, you wrote:
Why do diet sodas make you gain weight?

Here is what I just tracked down on the internet when I searched 'diet soda health' , This was on the news recently but I didn't hear all the details. Take a look at this report, and search the internet for more. This was the first file I looked at.

: 1) Diet sodas don't do anything to promote health; 2) They seem to contribute to carbohydrate cravings and difficulty in losing weight for some people; and 3) Their ingredients may have undesirable and harmful longterm effects.

They contain phosphoric acid, a concentrated form of phosphorus, which can upset the body's delicate and important calcium-phosphorus ratio. When you consume excess phosphorus (along with little calcium), there isn't enough calcium in the blood to balance the phosphorus, forcing the body to draw calcium from the bones.

Diet soda does nothing for our nutrient status; in fact, upsets and depletes it! That's one great reason to stay away from soda. Some [people on diets] have continued to drink diet soda [against advice]; many found that their weight loss stalled or they continued to have cravings for carbohydrates until they gave it up.

For reasons not entirely understood, their urges for carbohydrates were heightened or perpetuated by sweet foods, even though the sweetness came from sugar-free sweeteners. When they eliminated diet sodas and other forms of sugar-free sweeteners, their cravings disappeared and they often lost the weight they couldn't budge before.

Consider also that most diet sodas contain aspartame, which is considered a neurotoxin or an excitotoxin because it excites neurons to death. Aspartame is blamed for at least 70 different side effects, such as fuzzy thinking, dizziness and headaches. What's more, according to Russell Blaylock, MD, author of <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0929173252/myriamagazine>Excitotoxins: The Taste That Kills, consuming aspartame contributes to brain and nervous system disorders such as Alzheimer's and Parkinson's diseases.

<http://sheknows.com/about/look/'http://ads.sheknows.com/adserver/adclick.php?n=afda66ad'>
''
There is no good reason to drink aspartame-sweetened soft drinks and plenty of reasons to steer clear of them.