<<In a message dated 15/07/2005 18:53:36 GMT Daylight Time,  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

Jean,

I beg to differ.  My mother is only 62 and by no  means elderly.  My
grandfather is 84, now he is elderly.  I've  noticed the trend here in
Canada to declare that 60 is middle age, but  that would only be if you
lived to be 120.  However, I just can't get  my head around 62 being
elderly.  Just what is the definition of  'elderly', anyway.

Heather

At 09:06 AM 15/07/2005 +0100,  Jean Nathan wrote:
>  I'm elderly  (62),>>

Jean,

I'm with Heather here - you ain't elderly.  You may qualify for all  the
goodies that senior citizens can have (travel help etc) but you ain't  elderly.

It's become the in thing to describe anyone who is of retirment age as  being
in the third age - ie childhood, adulthood, retirement simple because now
when people retire or near it they are not the old people that their parents
were.

We aren't restricted anymore by wearing certain clothes at a certain age,  or
by eating certain things at a certain age because we loose our teeth later in
 life.

My father who is 82 didn't become any older in his activities or lifestyle
when he retired, nor did he do so when he went blind.  It was when he fell  out
of a tree and bounced down the garden that he realised he couldn't do quite
the same things as before - even then he tried to erect a garden fence and
mostly suceeded (he did all the concreting and post installation and got a
contractor to actually put the fence panels up)

Regards

Liz in London

I'm back _blogging_ (http://journals.aol.com/thelacebee/thelacebee)  my
latest lace  piece - have a look by clicking on the link or going to