i didn't add baking soda because i bought my corn meal in a corn meal
mix with salt and baking soda already mixed in. i am not sure what the
correct recipe would be for plain corn meal, but the hush puppy recipe
that was sent in earlier has it in its recipe.  i still add salt to
mine even though it is already mixed in, but you might not like it that
way.

from susan in tennessee,u.s.a.