A couple of years ago, a very kind lady t an ISP set anothr list up for us, but no-one went over to it.

I have looked at message boards, and while I don't think it would happen with lacemakers, a lot of what's posted is absolute drivel and not worth the effort of having to go and look at it.

Being on dial-up, I don't like web-based email - having to open a new page to view each message takes an age. At the moment I flip down the list of emails and read the first few lines of each. I can immediately see if I want to read the whole lot or not.

The second immediacy is the speed of replies. There's always someone reading your message as soon as it arrives in their inbox. I once wanted to order something from the US, but couldn't contact the shop. I posted a request on Arachne to ask if anyone knew if the shop was still open. An Arachnean in the shop's area phoned them and ten minutes after I posted my email, I had an email from the shop's owner to say their shop computer was down, and we conducted business between my computer and the owner's own personal one. Don't think that would happen with a message board.

Personally I hate all the bells and whistles attached to html messages. I get 10 messages downloaded in a few seconds, DH might have to wait several minutes to receive two of his. By the time animated smiley faces, music, patterned backgrounds, fancy writing, four photos and an advert have been added to an email, it takes the same time to download a message as it does to make a cup of tea (apart from the risk of viruses, trojans, etc) - can't be bothered. Apart from the photos, none of the rest adds anything useful to the content of the message

My brother recently sent me some photos via a link to AOL. He uploaded to AOL, and I looked at them and then downloaded them from a link in his email. Like Arachne webshots, I only looked at them because I wanted to.

Give me the immediacy of Arachne every time.

Jean in Poole, Dorset, UK