i saw a photo of one used in a hotel in the u.k. and i thought that was
the silliest thing anyone would ever need.  i lived in detroit michigan
and it didn't make sense why you would need a heater to warm or dry
your towels.  then i moved to tennessee!  my towels dry rotted and
ripped every chance they got regardless of how long i dried them in the
dryer.

it is even worse if you live in cinderblock or brick houses.  it always
feels damp and you have to make sure you wash the walls down regularly
or there will be mold in every corner of the room or growing behind the
dressers and bedheads.  wood homes are not much better!  the mold grows
all year round regardless of how hot or cold for both types of houses.
i'll bet towel holders are not that expensive nowadays unless you want
a super deluxe model, and it would feel nice in the winter days to have
a warm towel to dry yourself with. i think i saw one in a catalog
called "carol wright", but i don't remember the price.  everything you
buy from there is inexpensive.

i can still smell the mold from a bedroom i had a few years ago.  even
if you left the window open and the bedroom door open to let air
circulate better, it would still grow.  it made me think of all those
people in england where it rains all the time.  i can just imagine what
it would be like having to rewash the laundry all the time.  if you
have any clothes here in the closets they mildew as well.

i have a nice inexpesive portable "dryer" or clothes hanger i hang my
clothes on, and it keeps the clothes better than if they were left in a
mildewy closet.  that is really embarassing when you go to pull some
clothes out after they have been in the closet for about a week, and
they smell like wet laundry that mildewed before it dried.  i really
hate this kind of climate.  but it is very pretty and very green here,
and there is water and creeks everywhere you drive.  i live a block
away from a pretty creek i walk by when i am on the walking trail.  i
think i ordered the clothes dryer or hanger from a company called "get
organized".  it is a giant pole that reaches the ceiling, and you push
the top in to scrunch the inner spring to make it stand between the
floor and the ceiling without support.  then it has 4 arms that you can
hang your clothes on.  i won't use a dresser because they are as bad as
a closet.

--- Tamara P Duvall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Jul 20, 2005, at 22:52, susan wrote:
>
> > what about bath towels?
>
> I think they were made of plain fabric originally too. I think the
> ability of the machines to make loops on both sides must be
> *relatively* new (I tried to google, but I'm too hopeless, so
> couldn't
> find any dates). Loops on one side/plain on the other are older -
> that's what velvet and velveteen are (just cut afterwards, as are
> some
> towels).
>
> Most of the towels we had when I was a small child (1950ties) were of
>
> the loops-on-one- side-only kind; the Chinese imports, with loops on
> both sides, were something special, even though they were almost as
> thin, and the loops were not all that many (where there was a loop on
>
> one side, there was an empty space on the other; a bit like a
> knit/purl
> relationship). My mother got 3 towels "from America" which were true
> terrycloth (and which we called "frote"), but we never used them -
> they
> were too precious at first and, by the time I was in my teens, we
> could
> get something similiar "made in Poland"
>
> > the terry cloths ones are so thick sometimes, especially when they
> are
> > new, they never completely dry
>
> Especially in the Southern - always humid -weather :) I'm very
> envious
> of Brits and now the richer Poles who have the "drying bars" in their
>
> bathrooms :)
>
> --
> Tamara P Duvall                            http://t-n-lace.net/
> Lexington, Virginia, USA     (Formerly of Warsaw, Poland)

> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

from susan in tennessee,u.s.a.