Periodically I cut a CD in triplicate; keep one at home, put one in the safety deposit box at the bank, and squirrel one away in my desk at work. It won't help if we are ground zero in a nuclear attack, but if they break into the house and take everything computer-related or lightning strikes the house, it should help. Important files I back up immediately to another machine between the CDs.