On Aug 2, 2005, at 17:46, Noelene Lafferty wrote:

Jean, if you can get through the Da Vinci Code (I found I had
to read it right through, to my annoyance, because it was so
poorly written and a load of rubbish), then please give the
Harry Potter books a go.  They are far better written.

No kidding :) I had to wait for a loooong time to get my hot little hands on the Da Vici Code and was sooo disappointed... It had never been written as a *book*, IMO; it's a film-script - no depth or development of characters, one-sentence paragraphs, vocabulary at 4th-grade level (with unsubstantiated claims to the protagonists' brilliance)... There's nothing to the book but relentless (and not always credible) action; even parts of the book which so shook up the West (Mary Magdalene) and made it a bestseller are old...

Harry Potter, OTOH... :) I've only read the first 3 books (but both in Polish and in the Brit-English <g>), but found them delightful and extremely well written. I'm waiting for the series to be finished, so I can buy a "collected" edition and read it all at once. And then again, savouring.

--
Tamara P Duvall                            http://t-n-lace.net/