At 8:26 AM +0100 8/2/05, Jean Nathan wrote:
With houses in the UK being quite small, once a mother has got used to the idea that her offspring has flown the nest, she's usually very happy to finally have a sewing/lace/craft room and let the offspring sleep on a camp bed when he/she returns home for a while.
Jean, it happens here, too. Alas, I'd just begun to edge my way into Elissa's room (a bookcase; taking over the drawers in the big dresser; my lace-pillow stand....when my husband's snoring got to be too much and HE moved into the room. I haven't found another place for those items, but they are definitely there on sufferance...

One fellow, Bill Davis, in our lace guild has a published (but I don't know where) talk on "The Room" ... we ALL have it. Some of the tales he told on other people in the room the year he gave it as a speech were just dying of laughter along with the rest of us - like the lady who had raised several children in a house smaller than her current craft room (which might have been an addition onto the original house - too bad, it's been about 15 years since I heard the talk, and I don't remember the details).