In a message dated 8/7/2005 9:20:29 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Ricki, I am in my second season of raising silkworms.  I am a handspinner.
> And I intend to use the silk from them.  I would be interested in knowing
> why it is considered cruelty to animals.  I guess when you think about it,
> any kind of farming could be considered cruelty.  If you raise them in the
> tree, you would likely be feeding the birds.  Silkworms are usually raised
> indoors, as the larvae lack protective coloring and protective behaviors.
> They have been domesticated for thousands of years, and are said to be
> unable to live on their own.  They are very tiny when they hatch from the
> egg, and grow at a phenomenal rate.

Hmm - I'm wracking my brain trying to remember where I heard that it was
cruelty to animals, but it was in the context of comparing it to wool and
cotton,
whose "host" lives on. I didn't think about feeding the birds if I tried to
grow silkworms in my mulberry trees, but I'm sure that's right, now that you
mention it. Also, I didn't know that silkworms have been domesticated like that
-
 interesting! And I do I think an argument could be made that silk is an
improvement over silk moths.

> Just my two cents!  I'm finding the thread quite amusing!  The Jerk- there's
> another movie we'll have to look for...

:<) Martin then orders the waiter imperiously: "Take this plate away and
bring back another one WITHOUT snails!"

Ricki
Utah