We certainly have a lot of "bug" stories, don't we?  This is better than
the flame war that sometimes seem to start up in August.  Give me creepy
crawly stories from the safety of the computer room any time!

Nova's wasp story reminded me that I have a wasp story of my own.

A couple of years ago, in the fall, I took in a batch of laundry I had hung
outdoors on the clothesline.  The days were getting shorter and cooler, and
so some of the heavier fabrics, like denim blue jeans, had not quite dried.
 So I put the whole batch into the dryer, thinking that at least they were
partly dry.

The next morning I pulled out a pair of my slacks to wear to work and put
them on.  As I walked to the kitchen I felt that jabbing pain Nova
described -- like having a hot knitting needle spiked into you -- right
where the back of the leg meets the buttock!  YOW!  I dropped those pants
so fast!  And sure enough, a wasp had ridden indoors on the laundry and
survived its tumbling in the dryer.

All I could think of was the fact that for me, wasp bites usually swell,
and then they *itch*.  I would be going to work (minus the wasp!), with an
itchy wasp bite right on my backside!

But strangely, this wasp bite, although it hurt, never started to itch.  I
slowly realized that it must have used up all of its venom stinging the
laundry as it tumbled in the hot dryer!  And I thanked goodness that the
batch hadn't quite dried.  Otherwise it might have been my hand, as I
folded the laundry, that met up with the wasp.

I learned my lesson -- when the wasps start looking for places to hibernate
in the fall, I give up hanging laundry outdoors, even if the day is sunny
and warm.  It's not worth the wasp-roulette!

Lynn Carpenter in SW Michigan, USA
alwen at i2k dot com