On Tue, Aug 09, 2005 at 10:17:16PM -0400, Tamara P. Duvall wrote:
> No wonder the two of us hit it off like a house on fire, despite a 34
> years difference in our ages :) And I don't think it's something
> specifically Polish (as in "dumb Polack"), either...
>
> I remember being at camp (aged maybe 10 or 11), where a group of us
> decided to form an Indian tribe. As every child in Poland knew, Red
> Indians were noble and stoic,  indifferent to pain, and feared nothing
> at all... So. In order to qualify for membership, one had to pass
> certain "tests", which we devised ourselves. Some were simply skills -
> races, climbing trees (the fastest and the highest. I had an advantage
> there, being skinny; even the high limbs didn't bend under me <g>). But
> some amounted to self-inflicted pain - running over sharp objects,
> rubbing with nettles, hitting yourself with pine bough (needless part)
> till your hand bled and then swinging the hand till the blood *ran* -
> useful for "blood oaths", where you were supposed to mix your blood
> with that of someone else's.... We were a bunch of very well-read young
> savages with great imaginations :)

Wow!!!  I wish we had that!!  Most of the kids my age weren't that much into
Indians, just me and
one friend, so we'd go off by ourselves and spend the whole afternoon in tests
involving nettles,
cold water, and what not...  We did all have lots of fights (organized for fun,
not angry fights),
which was fun too.

And good job with the "chief's wife" part!! <VBG>

It really is continuously amazing how well we fit together, Tamara.

Weronika

--
Weronika Patena
Stanford, CA, USA