At 12:02 AM -0400 8/13/05, Tamara P Duvall wrote:
>On Aug 12, 2005, at 22:17, Martha Krieg wrote:
>
>>>My understanding has always been that they're one and the same -
>>>with Viking being made for the European market, and Bernina for
>>>the US one.
>
>>Not likely - Vikings are Swedish, Berninas are Italian.
>
>The Viking my Mother had (in the 60ties) was *Swiss*. As were the
>first Berninas I'd seen in this country (in 1973). It's like threads
>and their origin... Mettler, anyone?

http://www.my-sewing-machine-4me.com/productpage/vikingsewingmachine.html
Sewing machine history site - says Vikings are made in Sweden and
have been manufactured since 1872. Maybe your brain (often similar to
mine in other respects) has done what mine sometimes does - look at
the Sw and mingle Sweden and Switzerland? honest, I know they are two
different countries, have actually been in or through both of them,
and have Swiss great-great-grandparents...but I still get muddled
because of the way my brain files information, apparently by the
first two letters only!